Giraffe OmniBed Carestation
Creates a seamless healing microenvironment
Healthy Growth and Protective Neurodevelopment is a Journey
From delivery to discharge, the Giraffe OmniBed Carestation is designed to address the changing and complex demands of the NICU by utilizing advanced technology to provide supportive, family-centered care solutions, consistently-controlled thermal environments, warmth during transport (when paired with the Giraffe Shuttle*), improved patient access and visibility, and reliable clinical performance.
Everything You Need, Every Step of the Way
The Giraffe OmniBed Carestation was designed to bring babies one step closer to caregivers’ expertise, their parents’ embrace and to going home healthy.
Creating a neutral thermal environment
Embedded with a cascade control algorithm, the Giraffe OmniBed Carestation is able to minimize a baby’s temperature swings, while also providing Comfort Zone thermal guidance for setting and activating the desired temperature, as well as providing uninterrupted uniform heat during transition from incubator to warmer.
Minimizing negative touches
While some handling is needed or may be beneficial, most handling is stressful to newborns. The goal of the Giraffe OmniBed Carestation is to minimize stressful touches by reducing the need to move or reposition the baby through technologies like the one-touch canopy lift, which converts the Carestation into a radiant warmer without disturbing the baby.
Multipurpose mattress bed
Not only is the OmniBed mattress equipped with patented Baby Susan* mattress technology for full 360º rotation, it’s also pressure diffusing and bi-directional. This brings the baby closer to caregivers, which encourages swaddling and Kangaroo Care, and optimizes clinical procedures.
Promoting healthy growth and development
The Giraffe OmniBed Carestation manages sounds through adjustable alarm settings, hands free alarm silence, a low noise fan and a hood cover, which helps to dampen external noise.
Family-centered developmental support
From away screens that provide parents with digestible information about their baby’s care to side panels that can be completely removed to aid in providing Kangaroo Care, the Giraffe OmniBed Carestation invites family members to nurture, guide and be present for their baby’s journey.
With a 10.4” color and touchscreen display, connectivity capabilities, hands-free alarm silencing and ergonomic design (including an elevating base, removable door panels and pass through drawer), the Giraffe OmniBed Carestation was designed to fully support caregivers and better facilitate optimal neurodevelopmental care for all babies.
Empowering Caregivers’ Expertise
Every technological component of the Giraffe OmniBed Carestation was crafted to meet the infant’s needs, as well as the needs of the family members and caregivers.
Heat loss prevention
If either panel is opened, Air Boost can be enabled to protect the baby from heat loss and support thermal stability. Additionally, a servo humidity system, which was designed with sterility in mind, protects against infection and adds thermal support and decreases transepidermal water loss.
One-touch canopy lift
Easily convert the Giraffe OmniBed Carestation into a radiant warmer without disturbing the baby by utilizing the one-touch canopy lift and foot pedal.
Baby Susan rotating and bi-directional mattress
Thanks to the Baby Susan* patented technology, clinicians can easily reposition the baby, reducing negative touches and stimulation to the newborn. The mattress is also pressure diffusing and bi-directional.
With a large canopy surface, x-ray tray, radiolucent mattress and wide opening between canopy and mattress, the Giraffe OmniBed Carestation makes it simple to take digital x-ray images without disturbing the baby.
Stay up-to-date on all your patients’ medical history with a system that directly connects to hospital information systems, and is equipped for future updates.
10.4” color display touchscreen is built into the Giraffe OmniBed Carestation to help caregivers streamline information and control the baby’s environment, while making important information readily available to eager family members through custom, family-friendly away screens and themes.
Hands-Free Alarm silence
With the wave of a hand, clinicians can quickly silence the alarms, making it easier to provide immediate care, while maintaining a calm environment for the baby.
- Maximum height: Canopy down: 70 in (178 cm) Canopy up: 94 in (239 cm)
- Minimum height: Canopy down: 60 in (152 cm) Canopy up: 82.3 in (209 cm)
- Footprint: 45 in x 26 in (114 cm x 66 cm)
- Weight: 328.5 lb. (149kg)
- Floor to mattress height: 33 in to 43 in (84 cm to 109 cm)
- Mattress size: 25.5 in x 19.2 in (64.8 cm x 48.8 cm)
- Accessdoorsize: 9 in x 31 in (23 cm x 78 cm)
- Drawersize: 19 in x 20 in (48 cm x 50 cm)
- Drawer depth: 8 in (20 cm)
- Full Color Touch Display: 10.4 in (26.4cm) LCD
- Mattress tilt angle: 12, &continuously variable
- Micro filter: 0.5µ -99.8% efficiency (3M FiltreteTM)
- Data collection: RS-232
- Tubing access ports: 8
User Control Settings
- Baby (servo) temperature control: 35-37.5°C in 0.1° increments (Regulates baby temperature in both open and closed bed modes)
- Manual radiant power control: 0-100% in 5% increments
- Air temperature control: 20-39°C in 0.1° increments
- Servo humidity control range: 30-95% relative humidity in 5% increments
In-Bed Scale Performance
- Accuracy: ±0.35oz (10g)
- Range: 0.66lbs. to 17.6lb. (300g to 8kg)
- 10g (Factory setting) or 5 g (user selectable on non-EU scales)
- The resolution of scales distributed in the EU region may vary depending on the scale revision:
- Scales with revision 2.72 only have a resolution option of 10 g.
- Scales with revision 2.86 have a resolution of 5 g for weights up to 5 kg and a resolution 10 g for weights from 5 kg to 8 kg.
- The resolution on EU scales with software 2.86 and above is not user selectable.
Note: For the European Union (EU) and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) member states in Europe, check with your local regulations with respect to the Non-Automated Weighing Instrument (NAWI) directive as to the process and frequency for scale calibration.
Servo Oxygen Control Performance
- Control range: 21% to 65%
- Display range: 16 to 70%
- Rise Time: < 10 minutes from 5% below set point in Whisper Quiet Mode after open door
- Recovery from opening porthole: ≤ 5 minutes from closing porthole to 5% below set point
- Alarms: ±3% from set point
- Accuracy 5%
Inlet Pressure Maximum 620 kPa (90 psi)
- Recovery time: < 15 minutes (typical) Recovery to 75% RH with 39°C air set temperature
- Operating time between refills: > 12 hours @ 65% RH control setting in a 25°C/50% RH ambient
- Reservoir capacity: 1000 ml
- Servo Control Accuracy: ±10% for settings up to 85%: minimum 75% for settings > 85%
- Ramp-up time: ≤ 50 minutes - Time to reach 75% RH with a 39°C control temp from cold start in 25° C, 50% RH room.
- Temperature: 20° to 30°C
- Humidity: 5 to 85% RH (non-condensing)
- Air Velocity: Up to 0.3m/sec
- Water Ingress: IPXO
- Temperature: -25° to 60°C
- Humidity: ≤ 85% RH (non-condensing)
- Pressure: 50-106k Pa
Service and Maintenance
- Battery: 8.4V NiMH
- Recommended Calibration/Preventative Maintenance Period: Annually
- Limited Warranty: One year parts and service
*International specification, not available in the USA
Human factor design
How the Giraffe OmniBed Carestation promotes safety, efficiency and efficacy through human factors design
Do you know: It is estimated that about 69% of patient injuries in hospital results from human error1 and according to the FDA, 40% of product recalls and adverse events have roots in user-device interaction2
1. Weingart, Sual N., et al. Epidemiology of medical error.Western Journal of Medicine
172.6 (2000): 390.
Education & Training
The GiraffeCare* Clinical Education Program is designed to enhance the knowledge of caregivers about how the microenvironment promotes clinical outcomes and builds a stronger foundation for evidence-based "best practices."